24 May 2020

Coloured Border Hand-painted Butter Cookies

Hand-painted Bling Bakery
butter cookies with glaze flood
As you know, I've been spending most of my time hand-painting my Bling Bakery butter cookies. The white glaze flood background is the perfect canvas for my yet-to-be-refined painting techniques. 

But that got me thinking - how would the cookies look when grouped together on a plate? Will there be enough colour in the display or will my customer feel their order doesn't have enough pop? Since I'm not painting the entire surface of each cookie, will there be too much white, making the display look plain?


So I began to experiment. A simple solution was to outline the cookie with a coloured glaze. Using different colours for a group of cookies automatically made them look more eye-catching. The first few cookies I did, the outline was more of a pastel shade and didn't add the amount of definition I was after. Next time around, I used darker colours and a thicker border, and was more careful when applying the white, keeping it slightly away from the coloured edge. 

Results? Great! The picture doesn't really show the extent of the effect, especially with the yellow, but when the cookies were grouped together, the coloured borders not only enhanced the cookies when grouped, but also nicely framed each individual painting. 
Hand-painted Bling Bakery butter cookies with glaze flood,
coloured border on the small daisies, large daisy and large heart
This photo gives you an idea of how the cookies look on a white plate. The mini hearts do not have the coloured border, they are called "mini" for a reason! and the lighting doesn't show the yellow very well, but you can see the blue and orange borders on the other cookies. And hey, I think the doctor looks happy and that's all that matters!!
Hand-painted Bling Bakery butter cookie
with glaze flood and coloured glaze border

Hand-painted clematis on trellis, Bling Bakery
butter cookie with glaze flood and coloured border

Hand-painted flowers on Bling Bakery butter
cookie with glaze flood and coloured border

No comments:

Post a Comment