6 Mar 2020

Maple Oatmeal Muffins

Maple Oatmeal muffins
I have tried countless oatmeal muffin recipes over the years, and given that I'm still trying new ones, I suppose that means I haven't settled on The One that makes it into my recipe book. 

Case in point - the other day I came across a Maple Oatmeal Muffin recipe that seemed interesting and worth a try. As always (read "usually"), when trying a new recipe I follow it faithfully then later switch it up to suit my palette. What you see here are the first results and they were pretty good. The muffins had a really nice height, likely because I filled the cups almost to the top with batter and they bake at 400F. 

They were light, with a very nice texture, and weren't overly sweet. All in all, the recipe was fairly good, and whereas the results weren't perfect and I kept telling my husband and two boys that they will taste better next time I make them, the trial run was a step in the right direction. 

By the way, why is it so darn hard to find a good oatmeal muffin recipe? Am I not looking in the right places? Am I too picky? Likely more the latter than the former. The internet is awash with terrific bakers who selflessly share their recipes and allow public comments where other talents post their findings and make suggestions to improve the recipe under discussion. For my own situation, which has changed over the years since consuming apples now gives me a splitting migraine (for some stupid reason), I have to be careful about what I try and what I add to my baking. Recipes that rely on chopped apple to add moisture are out of the question, and I've seen more than a few oatmeal muffin recipes that  call for apples. Which is why this one caught my attention - no chopped apple! Anyway, enough rambling about that. 

So, stay tuned. These maple oatmeal muffins will likely surface again in the near future, though next time I make them I'll add some maple flavouring (the recipe relies on maple syrup only), reduce the baking time (so they aren't as dry), maybe add some chopped raisins - ALWAYS CHOP YOUR RAISINS!!! - to give them some guts and perhaps, just perhaps, my quest for a good oatmeal muffin recipe will have ended. But it's ok if it hasn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment