21 Feb 2020

Froggies and Toadstools

Frog cookie, Daisy cookie, Mushroom/Toadstool cookie
 I've been experimenting with gel icing and I LOVE IT!!!! 

Let me back up a bit and explain that I've never - as in never - been a fan of royal icing. It's far too sweet for moi, and that rock hard finish and crunch in the mouth that over powers the flavour of the cookie just doesn't appeal to me. So, after doing much decorating of my butter cookies with my buttercream, I was wanting a frosting that would allow a similar style of decorating that's possible with royal icing but, well, wasn't. 

Yeah, yeah and yeah again, I found Pam's recipe (from CookieCrazie.com) that uses clear corn syrup, and Pam's decorating is incredible. Here was a glaze that wasn't a royal icing but allowed her to do virtually anything a royal icing could. A quick review of the recipe and knowing the modifications I'd make so it was less sweet and more to my liking (+ salt, + flavouring, - some icing sugar), it was time to experiment.
Seeing as it's a Leap Year, I started with these froggies and toadstools and was sooo happy with the results. The glaze dries firm, not hard, and is slightly softer than the cookie itself so when you bite through it, the resistance is with the cookie, not the glaze. I'm so excited about this, it's opened up a whole new way to decorate my cookies!
Frog cookie, Mushroom/Toadstool cookie

No comments:

Post a Comment